I am a self-taught hobbyist, who simply enjoys creating unusual images. My work never contains anything but my own photos, combined into surreal, conceptual, or fantasy oriented pictures.
My beloved wife Marianne is helping me, especially on the artistic side of the creations (sets construction, image composition, color choices, overall feeling).
I am convinced that a great deal of what “Art” is lies in doing things differently. In visual arts, looking at things from another angle, modifying the lighting, adjusting an expression, or changing an attitude can bring life to an otherwise dull work. However, seeking difference simply for the sake of it is probably not a good way to obtain the best results. This is where “Creativity” steps in. I would personally define it as the ability to use difference as a tool to bring interest. Therefore, being creative is very important to me. Of course, I often fail at it, but I believe that pursuing that goal is the path I should follow.
Creating a new image is a whole process to me. Some photographers are able to instinctively recognize a worthy situation, find the best angle, and shoot it, all in a matter of seconds: this is a talent I don’t have. However, what I can do is imagine concepts, draw several rough sketches to see how they could be efficiently translated into pictures, determine all the various photos I am going to need, hunt patiently for them, plan additional shooting sessions, and assemble everything on the computer. I always use my own photos only, never stock: entirely controlling my work is very important to me. As a result, my images are like personal statements, a bit like a novel for a writer. Everyone is free to like or dislike them, to agree with my point of view or not, but fact is there is no cheating in them: my images are the direct reflection of my thoughts, the traces of my existence.
Publications & Exhibitions
- Talk at the Dundalk Photographic Society, Ireland, April 2017
- 1x.com official yearbook 2016
- Interview on 1x.com, April 2015
- LACDA (Los Angeles Center for Digital Art) exhibit, March 2015
- Interview in "Art & Beyond", March 2014
- Solo online exhibition at Exhibitions Without Walls, "Creativity", 2014
- Tutorial in the book "Surreal Photography: Creating the impossible", 2013
- Interview on Exhibitions Without Walls, 2013
- 1x.com "Photographic Visions" tutorial book 2013
- 9 pages article in "DigitalPHOTO" paper magazine (Germany, February 2013)
- 1x.com official yearbook 2012
- Interview in Practical Photoshop Magazine Online (May 2012)
- Digital Camera World (May 2012)
- Group Exhibition at "1650 Gallery", Los Angeles, "Unreal 2011"
- 1x.com "Photo Inspiration" tutorial book 2011
- 1x.com official yearbook 2011
- Interview on pxleyes.com 2011
- 1x.com official yearbook 2010